You are not logged in.

Friday, November 1st 2013, 9:57am

New champion - statting question

After some period of retirement I decided to start a champion/mage. Seems like an interesting combo. My main is to tank endgame instances. I have a few questions;

- Which skills to level?

- Rotation on mobs and on boss to maintain aggro.

- Preferred way of statting (to max my ability to tank)

- What current gear set-up would be ideal (e.g. Heurton set or so)

- I assume that ch/m uses 2-h hammer?

Advice from a more experienced champ would be welcome :)

Friday, November 1st 2013, 11:05am

Haven't seen many ch/m so far, so I will try to give you some advices for start and for the rest you will have to find ch/m or find out yourselve :).

Stating: depends whether you will go for aoth set or not. If you will go for set, try to stat a lot of str/stam, if you won't go for aoth set than str/stam/def/hp. In the case of Aoth more */patt stats are required cos of lover ghost stats on aoth compared to current accesories.

It looks like hp is more important for the tanks in these days than pdef, so for gear tier 7+ I would go 1 */patt, 4xstr/stam and 1xstr/stam/hp or 2x*/patt, 3xstr/stam and 1x*/hp. I personaly prefer str/stam over stam/hp since I have aoth as well as playing dps quite often (str and stam are the same for me)

Chain Drive is your best friend and you will Rune Pulse spam the whole boss fight. The same goes for Shock strike and Rune Energy Influx, but those two you can leave a couple levels below lvl cap.

Boss fight is kinda easy, just keep Shock Strike and Rune Energy Influx on cd and spam Chain Drive whenever it is on :). You can use some fillers in between but you will find out that during burst Rune Pulse is almost always on.

As for mobs, its always good to hit them with Shock Strike (aoth cape, rage pots, iss) since it is the only skill with aggro modifier. Can't really make any more comments here, since ch/r is using shadow stab for tanking mobs and ignoring champion skills.

All the skills caped at 50 are worth the tp ;)

As for 2-h hammer vs 1-h hammer and tali: the champions are not unified in this :D. Some prefer 2-h hammers (a little more damage, 1k crit) others prefer 1-h hammer and tali (faster - more rage, 2 Hatred X means more aggro).
I would perosonally go for 1-h hammer and tali for pure tank, since aggro is the only think that matters and I hate to be crit rate dependend tank. Also if you make the math, 1-h + tali results in +- 20% more aggro compared to 2-h hammer.

As for current gear, I would go for Beth (80) and Bela (82) chain sets together with aoth accesory set plus Maze Wall ring and aoth cape. (Yes I know aoth cape is very old and has realy log ghost stats, and there is a macro to use it from backpack. But this game can be extra lagy and those 0.5-1sec that I will loose due to lagging macro can result in wipe..)
:shit:

Wednesday, November 6th 2013, 10:07pm

Thanks for the reply. Some good advice in there. Just one remaining issue. I am not quite sure about your suggestion for statting. If I want to be a pure tanking champion, should I not use more sta/def?

Thursday, November 7th 2013, 8:41am

Well, the game changed a lot in last years and def requirements are not so high as they used to be. You can easily tank anything without a single */def stat.
Actually I am not using def food or def house maid buffs anymore. After a lot of testing I don't really feel big difference between 350k and 500k pdef.

I even remember tanking 5th boss in Beth hm with 250k pdef :D.

Champions have a couple of very nice damage reduction skills (Rune Growth ftw) and if you learn how to use them properly, you will be fine :)

Well I am not saying */def is bad stating, cos its not. For a pure dedicated tank who wants only to keep aggro and extremly high surviability it is still great stat. But I prefer to be comfortable with aggro (half of our dps is not using tranq powder with me) and having the possibility to switch into a dps machine without changing gear.

Yrcanos

The Dungeon Keeper and Game Administrator EN

Friday, November 8th 2013, 9:59am

half of our dps is not using tranq powder

IMO, that's their fault if they steal aggro from you, then. :D
Not using a tranq powder while I am tanking is a consequence of my aggro. It is not a reason for my "more patt than required" build ;)

Ch/r has aggro problems only at the begining of fight if scrut addicted dps hit the boss asap and generate 2-3kk aggro in first 3 seconds. Once this period is over, ch/r is more than fine aggro wise and during longer fights it is possible to go make coffee once boss is below 60% HP :D

Monday, March 24th 2014, 4:12pm

Markussk............

I have a mage/priest............I chose warlock for 3rd class not really intending on levelling it. But having just won 4th class ticket im going to go with Champion.

Now its not going to be levelled just yet same for warlock, so do i wear chain or cloth?

If i play as Mage/Champ combo im assuming cloth, all other 3 classes will be cloth anyway.

But if i go Champion/mage or other combo would i then use chain?

And what would be better.....Champ mage or Mage/Champ or even Champion /priest?

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 6:15pm

As I already mentioned in post 2, champions are supposed to wear chain.

As I already told you in another thread, I am not really familiar with m/ch. It has some nice cc and aoe skills, also it may be viable in pvp, but can't confirm this.

As for ch/p and ch/m. I never bothered to try them in pve, cos I prefered ch/r.
Both ch/p and ch/m are very nice in pvp. Ch/p thanks to off heal and holy aura while ch/m thanks to hp shield and lvl 60 elite.

Both of them are low damage tanks more focused on surviability than dps abilities.

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 11:00pm

As I already mentioned in post 2, champions are supposed to wear chain.

As I already told you in another thread, I am not really familiar with m/ch. It has some nice cc and aoe skills, also it may be viable in pvp, but can't confirm this.

As for ch/p and ch/m. I never bothered to try them in pve, cos I prefered ch/r.
Both ch/p and ch/m are very nice in pvp. Ch/p thanks to off heal and holy aura while ch/m thanks to hp shield and lvl 60 elite.

Both of them are low damage tanks more focused on surviability than dps abilities.

See im getting told to wear cloth by others so thats why i asked.

Like i said i dont pvp so its pve that i focus on.

Thank you for info anyway.

Wednesday, March 26th 2014, 3:03pm

Wearing cloth on champion? The only reason that I can think about is as ch/p to spam urgent heal and rising tide but its imho boring and not really a good idea.

Or there is something really big that I am overlooking.

wangorf can you name the reasons ppl told you in order to use cloth gear?

Wednesday, March 26th 2014, 6:57pm

Wearing cloth on champion? The only reason that I can think about is as ch/p to spam urgent heal and rising tide but its imho boring and not really a good idea.

Or there is something really big that I am overlooking.

wangorf can you name the reasons ppl told you in order to use cloth gear?

Hey Markussk42......

Same as for what you said about ch/p but it really doesn't appeal tbh and i think if i remember correctly it was just because all my others will use cloth so easier.

I could have gotten this wrong as maybe i was asking for mage/champion but tbh like you i would still prefer chain like my warrior just for survivability.

If champ/priest is like that i wouldn't last 5 minutes, i'll probably go for chain any direction i take.

I assume like warrior it would be better to use 2h ax or i also have a nice statted hammer at home.

Ty for advice, really dont want to just waste this 4th class ticket lol.