You are not logged in.

/!\ We are moving to a new board. Come join us. This board will go into read-only mode on 20.06. /!\

Dear visitor, welcome to Runes of Magic EU. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, November 13th 2009, 3:52pm

[Guide]Exp Debt "Fatigue" (For new players)

Quoted

I wrote this quick guide after reading the dev chat log.
I love RoM’s EXP debt system. For me, it brought back the “fear” of death and simultaneously reduced many annoyances associated with dying in MMORPGs.

RoM’s EXP debt basically gives you a set amount of debt based on your characters level. You lose 5%, or more appropriately, 5% goes into debt. While in debt, 70% of EXP gained goes toward paying that debt off. Debt really doesn’t get too much worse if you die at a higher level than a lower one. As dailies and quests give you more EXP reward comparatively, you can get out of debt about the same regardless of what level your character is.

EXP isn’t the only thing you gain from killing and questing though. You also gain TP(Talent Points) which are used to upgrade your skills. Your TP gain is “tied” to your EXP. Therefore, when you go into EXP debt, you are also going into TP debt.

This is where the tricky little thing about death in RoM comes in. TP gain is rounded to the nearest 10th. If you gain 100 EXP, you’ll also gain 10 TP. Likewise, if you gain 153 EXP, you’ll also gain 15.3 TP. But when you die fractions get lost. What does this mean. It means when you normally get that .3 of TP, but you keep dying, those fraction gains get dropped. The result is, that if you die more often than someone else, overall you’ll be gaining less TP. I call this slow loss of overall TP gain, through frequent death, EXP Debt Fatigue.

So it pays to be careful, not just to keep from gaining EXP debt, but also to maximize TP gain. You can help combat this by either NOT DYING(LOL) or buy a piece of furniture early in your career.

Within the cash shop, you can buy furniture pieces that either add EXP or TP bonuses. You buy a table or couch or whatever that adds to your overall bonus. Whenever you are in your house, you gain the bonus. The longer you stay at home, the higher the bonus builds up. The more furniture with bonuses attached, the faster the bonus builds up. The bonus is delivered to you over time by handing out a percentage of the bonus with each mob kill. So if you have some bonus EXP, you could gain a few more points from mobs than you would normally get from them. In this respect, it can pay to always log off in your house.

My suggestion would be to buy a small piece of furniture, with TP bonus, early in your career. You can only get the bonuses on furniture you buy from the cash shop, but some pieces are rather cheap. I bought a simple stool early on that added a TP bonus, for 15 diamonds. It wouldn’t take much gathering to sell for gold, that you can turn around and buy 15 diamonds with in cash shop. For example, low level resources like Zinc, Ash, and Mt. Poplar can be gathered from level 1 and are in high demand as they are needed to get your level 15 elite skills. I don’t know the current rates but they are probably fairly reasonable. I have been gathering higher level 43 Sinner’s Palm and getting around 1,200 gold per unit. Gold to diamond price, for me, is around 18K per diamond. It’s really not too bad, as anyone can gather a stack of 100 in an hour or so. And it isn’t as simple as saying the higher the level the higher the price. I wouldn’t be surprised if you made just as much gold per unit from the level 1 resources as I make from the level 43.

Once you have your 15 diamonds, you’ll have also done good toward raising your gathering skills, and to kill two birds with one stone, you could also level your professions up, depending on how you feel. Now just open cash shop and pay close attention to which furniture items give EXP bonuses and which give TP bonuses. Buy a nice small item like the stool I bought or see if anything newer and cheaper has been added then place it in your house(or go hog wild if you want to spend the money and get your house really decorated early).

One small stool gave me around 15 bonus points every 1-2 hours. I’m sorry for lack of info on this point, but it wouldn’t be hard to figure it out. Just pay attention to how much time has passed between the first time you log off in your house, and back on, then take your total TP and divide by the hours you were offline. So if you log off for 8 hours and back on to find a total of 60 bonus TP, you’ve gained 15 TP every 2 hours. That’s not bad and can help regain TP loss through frequent death.

One last note to keep in mind. You will only have the bonus applied when killing mobs. Daily quests and world quests will only give their set amount rewards. They do not add on the bonus. Seeing as how many quests have you killing "X" amount of mobs, it really isn’t a problem.

So, Runes of Magic’s EXP debt also gives you TP debt, and you’ll slowly lose more TP the more you die, due to lost fractions. It actually pays to be mindfull of death and to “fear” it, but all is not lost. Buying a piece of furniture, that gives TP bonus, early in the game can help alleviate this.

Quoted

I write often about Runes of Magic on my blog: "How To Lose Your Life To An MMORPG"
[img][/img]
My Blog- J1M: Massivley.com-Lost Pages of Taborea Stuff I say here are my opinions, not Massively's.

Monday, November 16th 2009, 11:54pm

Thanks for that insight matey,

Regards

Ubd

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 3:45pm

I think you are talking about two different things. The dept is there and it is nice the way it is.

However I have to disagree about buying a furniture at early stage to get TP-bonus.

The problem is that in low level you will recive something like 0.x TP-Bonus point for each hour, resulting in no TP-Bonus at all at low levels.

My suggestion would be to do your daily quest EVERY DAY and get as soon as possible a table from the coins that you get with your dailies. This give you the maximum TP-bonus for one item that you can buy - you should soon see a TP-bonus.

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 7:14pm

Quoted from "Tarchmage;1264606"

I think you are talking about two different things. The dept is there and it is nice the way it is.

However I have to disagree about buying a furniture at early stage to get TP-bonus.

The problem is that in low level you will recive something like 0.x TP-Bonus point for each hour, resulting in no TP-Bonus at all at low levels.

My suggestion would be to do your daily quest EVERY DAY and get as soon as possible a table from the coins that you get with your dailies. This give you the maximum TP-bonus for one item that you can buy - you should soon see a TP-bonus.

I'm not sure what those two things are you mention, but thanks for the added advice.

I tried not to say what you SHOULD buy. The main point is the fatigue, how it occurs, and how buying furniture can alleviate this. TP bonus works well at any level I think, as I explain how I did it, and the average I was gaining. if I get about 60 bonus TP a day at early stage or even say 30, that is extra TP that is nice to have and can offset dying(depending on how much you die).

And of course, like I mention, if you are a happy home owner and have the money and wish to go for it, you can always buy tons of furniture that have TP, and XP bonuses.
[img][/img]
My Blog- J1M: Massivley.com-Lost Pages of Taborea Stuff I say here are my opinions, not Massively's.

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 11:46am

IMO what you are saing is that this way, you loose under 1 TP from a death. And 10-15 TP an hour you are in the house. This is really nothing in the bug picture. 100TP from 10 hours in house, its just as killing a few mobs, and killing is a really small part of leveling, as quest gives a lot more EXP/TP. i dont think its worth getting any of these bonuses at all. i would rather buy something usefull for 15 dias than a chair.

str8er

Trainee

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 11:53am

I would have to agree that bonuses you get are close to a joke...

I would not recommend it to anyone to spend money on furniture, unless you want it for decorative purposes :)

Well actually, there is one scenario where bonuses might mean something:
- If you are a higher level (50+)
- If you get a lot of TP furniture
- If you play the game few hours every week, and stay the rest of the time in your house

Best regards, Ex.
[img][/img]
R/K (54/50) --- D/M (27/25)
Semi-active atm, w8ing for new content and level cap...

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 3:54pm

Quoted from "str8er;1273162"

I would have to agree that bonuses you get are close to a joke...

I would not recommend it to anyone to spend money on furniture, unless you want it for decorative purposes :)

Well actually, there is one scenario where bonuses might mean something:
- If you are a higher level (50+)
- If you get a lot of TP furniture
- If you play the game few hours every week, and stay the rest of the time in your house

Best regards, Ex.

Ummm 170k+ TP bonus from just around 30 TP (iirc table, chair and 1-2 plants) furniture bonus is definitely not a joke ... it is less noticeable on lower levels tho.

BTW I'm sure that there is no way that I get TP bonus like that with just 30+ TP/hour bonus, it looks to me that is % related too - I got around min 100k for 10hrs max offline.

And that I get from staying mostly just overnight in the house ... if u are non-stop in game well tough luck furniture will definitely won't work for you :)

Also if you just questing then you will not notice great influence but when you start farming mobs (like crabs, bloodfangs, ...) you will start to notice improvements.
51/52 P/K | 48/xx K/S | 58/55 R/K | 52/45 M/D

Saturday, November 28th 2009, 2:33pm

Oh, nice then it looks pretty nice :)

Sunday, November 29th 2009, 5:33am

Quoted from "slasky;1273108"

IMO what you are saing is that this way, you loose under 1 TP from a death. And 10-15 TP an hour you are in the house. This is really nothing in the bug picture. 100TP from 10 hours in house, its just as killing a few mobs, and killing is a really small part of leveling, as quest gives a lot more EXP/TP. i dont think its worth getting any of these bonuses at all. i would rather buy something usefull for 15 dias than a chair.

I have only 1 tiny table in my house. No other furniture except craft tables which do not add toward TP.

I've had it since I was in my 30's, and everyday I log on I usually have between 115K to over 150K TP bonus.

This is very good way to offset the fractional built-up TP loss that occurs over time and many deaths.

Yes, If you need a disclaimer, their are other circumstances that can alter this.

But those circumstances are well known to new and old players alike. They only require a minimal amount of thought to figure out plans based on your particular way of playing.

For instance: Obviously, you will not gain as much bonus if you play more and are only ever in your house 1 or 2 hrs a day.

But again, that is extraneous information that is easily discernible by most people.

If I try to include every little circumstance that occurs, then I am just being patronizing and making the guide way too long to make reading it worth it.
[img][/img]

Sunday, November 29th 2009, 7:25am

(little late reply :))

Quoted from "Mobly;1250497"

I love RoM’s EXP debt system. For me, it brought back the “fear” of death and simultaneously reduced many annoyances associated with dying in MMORPGs.

Agreed, dying hurts, especially on higher levels - lot's and lot's of debt (2-3 deaths can get you in 2M debt easy) not to mention repair costs (30-40k per death) and lost hammers. And I like it too.

RoM’s EXP debt basically gives you a set amount of debt based on your characters level. You lose 5%, or more appropriately, 5% goes into debt. While in debt, 70% of EXP gained goes toward paying that debt off. Debt really doesn’t get too much worse if you die at a higher level than a lower one. As dailies and quests give you more EXP reward comparatively, you can get out of debt about the same regardless of what level your character is.

Someone more knowledgable will correct me if I'm wrong, 5% is when dying from bosses/in instances and 10% dying from normal mobs. And it is more pain at higher levels because highest dailies can get you just 1.13M XP per day. Also debt is tied to level of boss/instance where you died, so if you get killed from lower level boss you'll get less debt.

EXP isn’t the only thing you gain from killing and questing though. You also gain TP(Talent Points) which are used to upgrade your skills. Your TP gain is “tied” to your EXP. Therefore, when you go into EXP debt, you are also going into TP debt.

Dunno what is used as base from which % is calculated for TP. Maybe same base used for furniture gains.

This is where the tricky little thing about death in RoM comes in. TP gain is rounded to the nearest 10th. If you gain 100 EXP, you’ll also gain 10 TP. Likewise, if you gain 153 EXP, you’ll also gain 15.3 TP. But when you die fractions get lost. What does this mean. It means when you normally get that .3 of TP, but you keep dying, those fraction gains get dropped. The result is, that if you die more often than someone else, overall you’ll be gaining less TP. I call this slow loss of overall TP gain, through frequent death, EXP Debt Fatigue.

Hmm, I'm not sure that fractions are problem here - bigger problem is that there (except dailies) finite TP/XP pool - regarding major gains like quest rewards and dailies so if one die it will have to use 70% of that pool to "repay" debt and that will set him back something like day or two (in general, depends of how much debt one managed to gather) behind one who not died and plays around same.

My suggestion would be to buy a small piece of furniture, with TP bonus, early in your career. You can only get the bonuses on furniture you buy from the cash shop, but some pieces are rather cheap. I bought a simple stool early on that added a TP bonus, for 15 diamonds. It wouldn’t take much gathering to sell for gold, that you can turn around and buy 15 diamonds with in cash shop.

Important note is that you can buy furniture for tokens too, table is around 600 (6 days), chairs 120, ...

And bonus becomes definitely visible as you gain levels (depends of how much time you spend offline), ATM I have around 400k+ of TP bonus and I'm not sure that I'll manage to spend that in near future faster that I'm gaining new one.
51/52 P/K | 48/xx K/S | 58/55 R/K | 52/45 M/D

Thursday, December 3rd 2009, 4:46am

i got a stool, and i logged off and quit and turn off pc and everything and there was no bonus when i came back... does it only work if you still have RoM running?
or maybe im just too low level...
thankyou

Thursday, December 3rd 2009, 5:32am

Quoted from "greenGrass2;1334065"

i got a stool, and i logged off and quit and turn off pc and everything and there was no bonus when i came back... does it only work if you still have RoM running?
or maybe im just too low level...
thankyou

Okay,

1.) You have to "place" the furniture somewhere in your house.
2.) You have to be inside your house when you log off.

If you did those two things:

How long were you offline for?

One stool may take a bit of time. I'm trying to remember what I wrote because I can't recall how much I gained that first log off, from just one table. I believe I was offline for 8 hours(I went to bed :) ). I can't remember how much I had, but it definitely showed.

There will be a little yellow cursor on your EXP bar for TP bonus(I think it's a blue cursor if it's EXP bonus). When you put the mouse on it, it will tell you how much bonus you made.
[img][/img]

Thursday, December 3rd 2009, 6:26am

thanks for a quick reply
i placed it and was inside my house when i quit for probably about 8 hours
the stool gives 4TP bonus per hour and i was level ~17 at the time

Thursday, December 3rd 2009, 9:46am

Quoted from "Tarchmage;1264606"

I did have a table in my house (more TP-Bonus) and I think I did see the first results with level 15. I assume that in your case you have to wait till level 20 or something like this to see a result. But than you should get each hour at least 1 TP. If you increase the level it will get higher.

Tuesday, December 15th 2009, 4:48pm

Has a 25 XP and 20TP bonus in my house and got a nice 10.000/1000 bonus next day at level 48. Not much in the overall setting as standard quests give over 40.000xp but feel nice.