You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Runes of Magic EU. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, September 13th 2010, 12:31pm

[Guide] How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Don't want to sound as smart... ;) but wanted just to remind people posting here to one part of the great How To Ask Questions The Smart Way text :)

(adopted to RoM)

Quoted

Use meaningful, specific subject headers

On forum, the subject header is your golden opportunity to attract qualified experts' attention in around 50 characters or fewer. Don't waste it on babble like "Please help me" (let alone "PLEASE HELP ME!!!!"; messages with subjects like that get discarded by reflex). Don't try to impress us with the depth of your anguish; use the space for a super-concise problem description instead.

One good convention for subject headers, used by many tech support organizations, is "object - deviation". The "object" part specifies what thing or group of things is having a problem, and the "deviation" part describes the deviation from expected behavior.

Stupid:

HELP! noob question

Smart:

Kill fungi in Logar question

Smarter:

Kill 10 fungi quest in Logar - Can't kill fungus

The process of writing an "object-deviation" description will help you organize your thinking about the problem in more detail.

More generally, imagine looking at the index of an archive of questions, with just the subject lines showing. Make your subject line reflect your question well enough that the next guy searching the archive with a question similar to yours will be able to follow the thread to an answer rather than posting the question again.

Do not simply hit reply to a list message in order to start an entirely new thread (thread hijacking). This will limit your audience.
Asking a question in a reply is a dubious practice in itself, because it will only be seen by those who are watching this thread. So, unless you are sure you want to ask only the people currently active in the thread, start a new one.
Remember there is a lot of people who will help you but they do not have time to go and see what's inside of every thread on the forums ...

NHF, but lately whenever I go looking at forums I just see full lists of HELP, question, whatever threads ...
51/52 P/K | 48/xx K/S | 58/55 R/K | 52/45 M/D

Monday, September 13th 2010, 4:52pm

I will stick this thread.

Thank you Djnesh :)

jamespm

Professional

Monday, September 13th 2010, 5:01pm

might help to organise it more, as what I like is the pay pal problems as they always say pay pal luckily, so I just ignore them...
[img][/img]
For more info on [TKs] TheKillers Gaming Clan click here.
(out of date sig as always...)

Belcebub

Professional

Occupation: Armorcrafter, alchemist etc... oh u mean irl? um, i excell at slacking

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 8:46am

lovely and so true :) btw plural for fungus is funghi :p
Ticklemonster W70/wd67/d60, Pixiefrog R70/k66/m55
[img][/img]

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 9:19am

Actually it is fungi, but let's not split hairs :)

Very good thread, wish I had thought of it. Now we just have to hope that people actually read it, lol.

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 10:00am

Thanks for sticky, I hope it will be useful.

Quoted from "Tijgerhaai;2433820"

Actually it is fungi, but let's not split hairs :)

Hehe, ty, fixed :)

Quoted from "Tijgerhaai;2433820"

Very good thread, wish I had thought of it. Now we just have to hope that people actually read it, lol.

Some form of this post was my standard introduction post when I was moderating forum/mail lists (combined with Netiquette, RFC 1855 and last but definitely not the least Dear Emily Postnews - damn my age shows ;))
51/52 P/K | 48/xx K/S | 58/55 R/K | 52/45 M/D

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 2:34pm

Very smart guide, thank you.
Let's just hope, everyone will read it and take it into account.

Monday, April 4th 2011, 10:26pm

oh k but i am a noob i just started a couple of seconds ago not trying to be a bigger noob but where's the play button?

Monday, April 4th 2011, 10:30pm

Quoted from "pivpro;3095725"

oh k but i am a noob i just started a couple of seconds ago not trying to be a bigger noob but where's the play button?

There should be a huge red button called 'Play Game' when you start up your launcher.

It might be grey when you're still patching your game.

Sunday, May 15th 2011, 1:00am

I hope to get the answer,
I have forgotten my secondary password,is there any way to retrieve it or to change it.
I would be grateful if someone could help me!
Thx in advance.

Sunday, May 15th 2011, 12:05pm

Quoted from "Lazar93;3201703"

I hope to get the answer,
I have forgotten my secondary password,is there any way to retrieve it or to change it.
I would be grateful if someone could help me!
Thx in advance.

Hi Lazar93,

Please use the search function, these threads are all from last week:
https://forum.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?t=366484
https://forum.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?t=367393
https://forum.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?t=367681
https://forum.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?t=368167
https://forum.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?t=367885

Wednesday, June 8th 2011, 6:36pm

Hey guys, i'd like to ask if the spoils about chapter IV are true ... will there be rhinos for race or not ? Thank you for your time :)

Wednesday, June 8th 2011, 7:11pm

Greetings,

Yes it's true, but only has NPCs and not as a playable race.
By the way you should have opened a new thread for this question instead of posting here, since the topic is about something completely different.

Wednesday, June 8th 2011, 7:22pm

Yea, sorry for that :D ... I just posted in the first thread i saw suitable for my question :D

jamespm

Professional

Wednesday, September 14th 2011, 4:33pm

none of these tips are being used again..........and even then on the thread it self has been invaded :)

May I please erge everyone to try to follow the tips in the first post to help make the forum easier to read and get to the questions that I can answer. Doing this will help everyone to get to your thread who can help tell you the answer, or to make a nice debate.

Also as a side note, don't make 2 threads, one with a good name and one with a really bad name, this not only annoys the other users of the forum, but as well the forum moderators who have to deal with it.

So, for a good reminder, and to save you checking, here is the thread content...

Quoted

Use meaningful, specific subject headers

On forum, the subject header is your golden opportunity to attract qualified experts' attention in around 50 characters or fewer. Don't waste it on babble like "Please help me" (let alone "PLEASE HELP ME!!!!"; messages with subjects like that get discarded by reflex). Don't try to impress us with the depth of your anguish; use the space for a super-concise problem description instead.

One good convention for subject headers, used by many tech support organizations, is "object - deviation". The "object" part specifies what thing or group of things is having a problem, and the "deviation" part describes the deviation from expected behavior.

Stupid:

HELP! noob question

Smart:

Kill fungi in Logar question

Smarter:

Kill 10 fungi quest in Logar - Can't kill fungus

The process of writing an "object-deviation" description will help you organize your thinking about the problem in more detail.

More generally, imagine looking at the index of an archive of questions, with just the subject lines showing. Make your subject line reflect your question well enough that the next guy searching the archive with a question similar to yours will be able to follow the thread to an answer rather than posting the question again.

Do not simply hit reply to a list message in order to start an entirely new thread (thread hijacking). This will limit your audience.
Asking a question in a reply is a dubious practice in itself, because it will only be seen by those who are watching this thread. So, unless you are sure you want to ask only the people currently active in the thread, start a new one.
[img][/img]
For more info on [TKs] TheKillers Gaming Clan click here.
(out of date sig as always...)