You are not logged in.

/!\ We are moving to a new board. Come join us. This board will go into read-only mode on 20.06. /!\

Dear visitor, welcome to Runes of Magic EU. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 3:49pm

New player questions! :)

Hello,

I've never played RoM before and I thought I might ask a few questions and save myself some headache in-game.

!. Is it possible to be competitive without spending tons of money?
2. Which is the most populated English speaking EU server?
3. What would be the best class combo for someone that likes playing DPS/Healers? I played Shamans and Shadow Priests a lot in WoW. I like being able to DPS and provide a bit of healing to the group in a tight spot - especially passive group healing (like Shadow Priest from WoW). Are there any classes like that in RoM?

Thanks for the advice!

PhoenixLion

Intermediate

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 4:08pm

1. Some are able to do it ftp. But it's very hard (when you want to be the best that is). Spending some rl money on dia's does make it easier. I don't know what a ton of money is for you :).
2. Macantacht, Siochan and Isiltir are the English speaking server. Most populated.. got no idea..
3. Never played WOW, but Mage/Priest (elf) can be good combo then and also Druid/Rogue (elf). Mostly for uber dps think the top is now Warrior/Mage, Rogue/Mage, Rogue/Warden uuh, in general dps without a healing side :). Although my Druid/Rogue friend does also quite a lot of dps..
Elyne Mage 97 / Rogue 97 / Priest 82 / Warrior 70
Blacksmith 97 / Mining 96+
Guild Mortalsouls on Agenor
Mortalsouls Facebook

onetrickst3r

Intermediate

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 5:22pm

She wanted to say Mage/ Priest (Human)*

But everything falls in the water when i saw that Druid/ Rouge plays... he can be good healer on same combo, on other side he can be very strong DPS on same combo... And he can mix bot of both, so i can say, so far one of most useful classes i ever saw, so maybe that class can bring you what you need.

As for that 1st part... Either you spend lot of time or lot of real money to be best... You can be good tho without spending any of those, but most of people don't want to be good anymore :)

Oh i saw 2nd... For servers... There are most female players on Isiltir so you don't need to think twice ;) (advertising like a sir)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Laghmara

Unregistered

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 5:24pm

Hello and welcome to the RoMmunity :)

1. As with every F2P concept it depends on what you intend to do, how long you play, how you play.
You can trade the purchase currency with other players in the auction house for in game gold. If you want to become one of the Top 10 players within a week, whilst playing 1 hour a day and not spending any money, you'll get disappointed. I'd say if you want to play an average of one hour a day, six to eight month should be sufficient to get to the current endcontent but not amongst the Top 10 (assuming you don't spend any money but learn how to make gold best :) ). That is just me assuming, personally I tend to play 2-3 hours a day, and I know the game for nearly 4 years now.

2. All servers are pretty equally populated, so I'd recommend to go where you find supportive players or which server name you like best ;)

3. I'd also recommend Mage/Priest oder /Druid. As you can have 3 classes in Runes of Magic and can have two of them active as combination with various effects you have in fact 6 different possibilites to play your character. E.g. choosing Mage/Priest/Scout woulld end in the following possible combinations:
Mage/Scout - good CC & AoE
Scout/Mage - Burst Damage and CC
Mage/Priest - AoE, some CC and sustain
Priest/Mage - Healer with usefull supportive Skills
Priest/Scout - long distance Healer with some Support
Scout/Priest - supportive physical Damage Dealer

(and now I'm already feeling the stones on my head for choosing an example with exactly the three classes I played only a little myself XD)

~Laghmara

Edit: and yes I'm a slow typer. Community is faster. Always :D

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 5:35pm

OK thanks for the responses :)

Yeah, I don't mind paying some - I usually play subscription games so I'm used to paying at least $15 / month. I just wanted to make sure this game wasn't like some where you have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to compete with some players.

Hm. So none of the classes have a combination of healing and damage? For example - I saw Wd/D has an AoE heal with Chop. I like to be able to support a little bit while doing damage.

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 5:55pm

love how this thread gets blue response faster then some others who want an official response... anyway gl in the game :) yes its possible to remain f2p, i myself was until i quit quite recently(wondering whether or not this will deleted, as im "breaking" forum rules apparently) as for healing + dps rogue/priest can but i dunno how viable it is at endgame
Cenre - 82/77/70 r/s/m
Alissya - 82/70/70 m/wd/w
yolo

PhoenixLion

Intermediate

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 6:44pm

Quoted from "onetrickst3r;4679978"

She wanted to say Mage/ Priest (Human)*
Yes ty Nan xD.

And about my Druid/Rogue friend's combo also a little side note. He has two sets of gear. One for dps and one for healing. The healing he does on dps gear is more supportive. On heal gear he heals quite a bit more :).
Mortalsouls Facebook

Fatelord

Intermediate

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 7:29pm

Hey Anti. Everyone here already answered your questions correctly really but here's my version:

1. If you want to be among the 25 best players on the server, you either need to spend a LOT of time online just playing the game and getting gold, or do it the quicker way by spending cash. How much cash you spend is up to you: if you only buy the bare necessities to play the game and get a good character, it doesn't take that much money. If you want every possible advantage you can get from the cash shop, it'll take a lot of money. You can trade ingame gold for diamonds, the cash shop currency, so there again the limit is your playtime: the more you're online, the more opportunity for gathering gold and trading it for diamonds. Finding a nice guild that helps you to some advantages that high level characters get for free can also make a huge difference. Just one simple example: a guild that gives you more "mount tickets" than you could ever need, will put off you needing to buy a mount from the cash shop. But a guild can e.g. also hand their old gear down to you at cost or even less. If you don't care about being the best of the best and can live with just a decent character, some investment in RoM (be it time and/or money) will get you there.

An important note in my opinion: the cash shop only becomes relevant at lvl 55 at the earliest. You can even get to level 60-65 without really needing items from the cash shop. So that's plenty of time to play the game and see if you like it and only then think about spending cash or increasing your online time to gather more gold.

2. No idea about server populations. You'll find some "help, this server is dying"-threads started by a few pessimistic or panicky people on each of the EU-server subforums. I can tell you which server is more active on this forum though; just look at the server names of the people who posted here :)

3. The best class combos that seem to suit your needs have been mentioned. I just want to add that each mmorpg's classes play differently from their counterparts in other games. So it's possible e.g. you liked healer in another game, don't like it in RoM but do like tanking here. Or you never liked a mage class in a previous game but think it's most fun to play in RoM. It all depends on personal preference and playstyle. Also, just trying out a new combo for a while to see if you like it, is part of the fun ;)

Off-topic addendum: been a while since I saw a CM post here except the required posts like maintenance and patch notes. Always nice to see a "blue" post, but with all the suggesions, bug reports, etc. where we could really use a CM's intervention (even just to say "we know" or "reported" or "sorry can't do" or such) you choose this thread to post in, a thread where the community can provide 100% of the answers themselves? Come on... ;)

PhoenixLion

Intermediate

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 7:48pm

Quoted from "Fatelord;4680092"

Off-topic addendum: been a while since I saw a CM post here except the required posts like maintenance and patch notes. Always nice to see a "blue" post, but with all the suggesions, bug reports, etc. where we could really use a CM's intervention (even just to say "we know" or "reported" or "sorry can't do" or such) you choose this thread to post in, a thread where the community can provide 100% of the answers themselves? Come on... ;)

And here I was thinking that Laghmara probably over took Heijoshins duties as of today and already saw atleast two responses on EU Forum from her :). A good first day and hope that it continues. But indeed I agree that even if a CM can't do anything, it's nice to know that it has been read :).
Mortalsouls Facebook

Fatelord

Intermediate

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 10:22pm

Yeah I didn't see the announcement https://forum.runesofmagic.com/showthrea…029#post4680029 yet when I posted. Still, as a general statement I told the devastating truth :D It's indeed remarkable that we get posts from a "blue". I'd say: here's to hoping she keeps it up, would greatly enhance the "RoMmunity" and therefore RoM as a whole, but unfortunately I read in that same announcement that Laghmara is only here temporarily. So, I'm afraid I'm just being realistic in saying:
1) Laghmara's enthousiasm is new and may soon fade, and it will be gone anyway when she's replaced (which will most likely not take very long)
2) Gameforge is looking for a new CM that doesn't post here and ignores the english forums except when absolutely necessary e.g. to post messages about maintenance and patches. I suppose it's in the job description so watch out Laghmara! Two posts in one day here may upset your bosses and we may lose you even sooner :P

smid1401

Beginner

Thursday, June 20th 2013, 1:33am

Quoted from "Fatelord;4680278"

Yeah I didn't see the announcement https://forum.runesofmagic.com/showthrea…029#post4680029 yet when I posted. Still, as a general statement I told the devastating truth :D It's indeed remarkable that we get posts from a "blue". I'd say: here's to hoping she keeps it up

Laghmara took over the U.S side for a bit ( between CMs) and posted lots , she also took the time to just talk to us .. She is one of the better Blues we have PS. Laghmama don't get a big head , cuz I talked ya up
[img][/img]

HeroOfGod

Beginner

Thursday, June 20th 2013, 8:19am

'PhoenixLion' is talking about me, i'm Druid/rogue and if you wanna bevery good dps (warriot/mage is number 1 dps) and also to be able to heal supportive (in critical situations and so on) then druid/rogue is somthing for you. its magical dps, so you cast spells. And like phoenixlion said i got 2 gears, a full dps gear (wich i can do supportive heals) and a heal gear so i can also join partys who need a healer, or i can swicht from gear when party need more heals then dps on some bosses, and so on...

If making 2 gears is to expensive then you can try to make 1 gear with some dps and heal stats on it (but then you ll lose dps).

If you join Isiltir then wisper to me ;) and then i can give you advice on druid/rogue class (my ingame name is: gestero)

But good luck in game whatever server/class you choose ;)

oh yea before i forget as druid/rogue you will only do very good dps with the lvl60 elite.

grts
The guild [Mortalsouls] is recruiting! Join NOW!
Site: www.mortalsouls.nl
Trailer Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agq7nPCGMwo

Thursday, June 20th 2013, 12:52pm

Quoted from "AntitheistPOV;4679987"

OK thanks for the responses :)

Yeah, I don't mind paying some - I usually play subscription games so I'm used to paying at least $15 / month. I just wanted to make sure this game wasn't like some where you have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to compete with some players.

Hm. So none of the classes have a combination of healing and damage? For example - I saw Wd/D has an AoE heal with Chop. I like to be able to support a little bit while doing damage.

I'm a D/Wd and I've played a bit Wd/D when I'm levelling my secondary (it's still around lvl 65 so not to be compared to endgame) and I can say it's not a bad combo, my warden was easily surviving higher lvl mobs just with quest gear where my druid was struggling and the ability to heal is also nice. The aoe heal with charged chop has a small range and activates every 8 seconds so don't think to use that to be a healer, but if you just want to heal sometimes it's a good addition to your skills.

You can also make 2 different builds for Wd/D the most common would be a tank build in chain gear since most of the skills increase aggro and give more defense, but you can also make a magic build because of the elite Earth Spirit Essence, the downside is that you would be making a magic build around only 1 skill that needs to land a white hit first to activate, and using charged chop just for the heal.

Thursday, June 20th 2013, 1:40pm

Odd. I would have thought a game with this kind of class system and the amount of combos available would be more favorable to hybrid builds. That was half the appeal for me.

PhoenixLion

Intermediate

Thursday, June 20th 2013, 2:56pm

If you want to be the best of the best in dps, then your gear needs to be focussed on that. If you want to be the best in heals then your gear will look different then dps gear.

That does not mean you can have both, only that your probably not going to be on top of the scrutinizer (addon for damage output) :).

The benefit of the two class system is imo more the different elite skills. The elite skills is what makes your combination unique. You can look up the elite skills for instance here http://runesofmagic.gamepedia.com/Classes and see what you would like.

I think Fatelord already suggested to test and try out what you would like here. There are many things to explore :)
Mortalsouls Facebook

Thursday, June 20th 2013, 9:42pm

Quoted from "PhoenixLion;4681058"

I think Fatelord already suggested to test and try out what you would like here. There are many things to explore :)

I find it's generally better to spend some time asking questions rather than weeks leveling a character only to find out it's broken or not what I thought it was :P Seems like leveling and gearing in RoM takes a lot of time - I'd rather not have to start over if I can avoid it.

Quoted from "Symmol;4680818"

and using charged chop just for the heal.

Hm I like the look of Wd/D. I like tanky DPS classes, too. If I went WD/D/S it would allow me to switch between ranged DPS, melee DPS, tank and healer, right?

As a magic build Wd/D, what's the cast time on Charged Chop? I'm reading the forum and I see a bunch of posts saying it's 2 seconds but on the skills list it says instant and 1 second cooldown?

Does anyone know how well Druid/Warrior compares as DPS? Seems like they get a couple of heals and damage skills that scale of WIS. If you can stack WIS and DPS, couldn't you use the WIS to heal a bit, too?

Thursday, June 20th 2013, 10:44pm

Quoted from "AntitheistPOV;4681484"

Hm I like the look of Wd/D. I like tanky DPS classes, too. If I went WD/D/S it would allow me to switch between ranged DPS, melee DPS, tank and healer, right?

hm yes even though you would need different gear for all those roles.

As a magic build Wd/D, what's the cast time on Charged Chop? I'm reading the forum and I see a bunch of posts saying it's 2 seconds but on the skills list it says instant and 1 second cooldown?

Yes, Charged Chop it's an instant skill with 1 second cooldown making it almost spammable (still drains a good amount of mana), but the damage output would be very low if you are gonna using it on a magic build that's why I said it would be used just for the heal effect.

Thursday, June 20th 2013, 11:13pm

Does anyone know how well Druid/Warrior compares as DPS? Seems like they get a couple of heals and damage skills that scale of WIS. If you can stack WIS and DPS, couldn't you use the WIS to heal a bit, too?

For healer you would need a separate gear set. Pure tank wd/d built like a knight is ineffective, you need close to dps gear but make it so imba (invest so much cash) that bosses can't kill you anyway. Your aggro will be crazy strong - so you can tank. You have to think about levels too, there is enough quests in rom to level one class to max level, the rest you have to level with dailys over months and years, or kill mobs 24/7 for weeks, or buy daily reset tickets for thousands of diamonds, get powerleveled in tosh day after day, whatever you decide it's gonna be an issue to think of.

Charged chop is still instant cast unless you're wd/s if I understand correctly. The heal even as magic build is not big enough to really matter, although nice for leveling definitely.

D/w from what I heard can't dps effectively. If you wear dps gear you can't heal (no heal point bonus and no crit). If you want a hybrid class, like people already said d/r is a good idea. I always thought the best way would be to use healer gear with mage stats. The healing part would work 100%, but dunno if such low matt will make it possible to even attack the bosses in endgame context, somebody else has to speak here I never played dps. <--- edit: correction here, like I said never played dps :D but I kinda thought about it and looks to me like more matt comes from stats then from gear for a mage, so probably shouldn't be a big problem?

Also one last thing, not many people mentioning p/s, the dps spell I know got a big nerf but they were very very popular.

Unimatrix01

Intermediate

Occupation: BattleMonk, or more precise, Battle Nun coz my character is female :) (thx 2 Yrcanos ^^)

Friday, June 21st 2013, 11:04am

If you want Heals and DPS, how about Priest/Warrior aka the Battlemonk. I play one, it's fun and currently I'm changing gear away from the several guides I found on the internet ;)

Even tho it's just gear obtained from shells, unstatted, unplussed, I have no problems handling mobs in the last zone Syrbal Pass :)
Sôhei, the Highest Lvl BattleMonk on Isiltir!, not so high on Agenor :sleeping:
----------------------- 90/86 ----------------------

Friday, June 21st 2013, 12:47pm

Hm . . . Wd/D gives me a healer, DPS and tank spec so I can just change my gear around to suit whatever I need to do. Seems like a good idea to pick a class that has several roles so I can try a bit of everything while I'm getting used to the game.

Thanks for all the advice guys :)