You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Runes of Magic EU. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, November 6th 2014, 4:26pm

New Rogues

Firstly I'd like to say Hi to all :)

Some help is needed please. My hubby and I are new players to RoM, we have come here from Everquest which we played for 15 years, my hubby found this game and has been rather taken with it!

I have a few questions, if any (or all) of you could be so kind as to help us please :)

1) We are both playing rogue and are really enjoying the class, but we're a bit confused as to which secondary class we should go for. Hubby has done a lot of reading and it seems that Rogue/Mage is way to go at the moment, but neither of us want to be top DPS or have to be a benefit to a group - we're looking for a good secondary to go for that will enable us to group together and be able to duo quests from start to finish including end bosses which I believe are called elites. We only play PvE by the way. We aren't looking to solo instances and their bosses, just quests etc. What would be the best scondary for us in this situation - should we both choose the same or would we benefit from having different secondaries? I realise there are many posts re rogues and secondaries but we're not looking to be end game DPS or fit into groups etc - just want to have fun and enjoy the game until we have at least learned the game - we don't want to hamper anyone's group efforts because we don't know how it works at the moment etc and don't want to be a burden.

2) We have started out on Siochain as we're English but my hubby has noticed that items are really expensive there and as we're new players we don't have much gold so will struggle to keep up with the economy and we don't know anyone else who plays to help us with gear etc (we're not looking for free hand outs, I was thinking more of help). Is Siochain the best server to be on? Are all servers pretty much the same? or is there somewhere that might be better for us being complete newbs?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, everything and anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, November 6th 2014, 4:55pm

have one pick a healer off class(druid, priest), and the other pick a tanky off class(knight, warden). that is a decent duo setup if you both want to play DPS mains. just be aware that knight and priest are human classes(priest is dwarf also), and druid/warden are elf classes.
CIKE - S/D/R

Thursday, November 6th 2014, 5:25pm

Siochain is the best EN server :) and yea, agree completely with what Cike said!

Welcome to the game!

Thursday, November 6th 2014, 5:34pm

Thanks Guys, much appreciated.

We're really looking forward to getting into playing properly, just hope our newbishness doesn't ruin anyone's day lol

Priest and Knight isn't an issue for us as our EQ heritage is cleric/warrior. Further question though is will we be able to stay as rogues for elites or will we both or one of us (i.e me as priest) need to swap out to the knight/priest to do those? I ask because we tried Crafty Burnok last night and he owned us (hubby level 20 and me level 18, both still rogues) I did the trigger and was like 'erm that was a fast death' and the hubby got him to 95% before he died :thumbup:

Yrcanos

The Dungeon Keeper and Game Administrator EN

Thursday, November 6th 2014, 7:03pm

The different class combinations are all very different for any class and the only restriction you will meet are the race-locked classes.
As an Elf, you cannot be Priest, Warlock, Knight or Champion.
As a Dwarf, you cannot be Knight, Druid, Scout or Warden.
As a Human, you cannot be Warlock, Druid, Warden, or Champion.

Everyone will share their opinions and tell you why Rogue/Roadsweeper is awesome and Rogue/Binman is a nice choice too but that you should steer away from Rogue/ShopAssistant because it's complete rubbish or skills X and Y are broken.
What matters is not what others tell you to play, but what you enjoy playing. If you don't enjoy it, it stops being fun.

Why not create a few new characters on your account and play through the first 5-10 levels on some other classes to get a feel for what they are like. That way, you might find a class that you think is fun to play and that will help you decide for yourself.

As for gold:
Don't worry too much about that. You'll get fairly decent gear from your quest rewards to allow you to complete almost all open-world quests. Exdceptions would be for world bosses and such.
Instance quests cna be completed easily with a little higher-level help and they'll tend to give you slightly better blue-quality gear.
There are gear-packs available at level 50, 55, 60 and 65 although the level 50 gear bag gives a duplicate of the sets available in Coast of Opportunity and Xaviera so perhaps take the opportunity there to get an alternative set of gear for on e of your other classes.
From Redhill Mountains onwards (level 66+), the main quest lines offer nicer quest rewards. They still won't let you run instances without help, but they'll definitely make questing very possible.
By that time, your gold reserves will be more than adequate to play the game without suffering any major gold-shortage.

However, if you're determined to buy from the Auction House, you're going to need to get farming and one of the easiest ways to do this is via Minigames.
There are noticeboards in almost every major town with Daily Quests on them, or NPC's with Blue ( ! )'s above their heads. You can only complete 10 of these quests per day but they will each award you 10 Phirius Tokens.

To enter a minigame, you will need to pay 30 Tokens. If you successfully complete stages of some minigames, or the entirety of some others, you will be rewarded between 30-50 Phirius Shells.
There are various vendors alongside the bank in Varanas that will sell you an endgame equipment piece.
If you're lucky, you may be able to sell the stat on it. This will require the purchase of a Purified Fusion Stone from the Diamond or Phirius Token Shop (Press "/" ingame").
If you're even luckier, you might even sell the item. First, you'll need to unbind it with an Advanced Bind Lifter only available from the Diamond Shop.

Thursday, November 6th 2014, 7:33pm

might also be worth linking this thread here its a nice way to get free purified fusion stones which can be used to sell stats at a later date for some gold :)

Masazuka

Professional

Thursday, November 6th 2014, 8:23pm

you can have 3 classes on your char so you can experiment a bit and choose which one you like.
The less you respond to rude, critical, argumentative people, the more peaceful your life will become.

Thursday, November 6th 2014, 8:49pm

If you are coming from Everquest, be aware that there are nothing like as many quests here (people here that have never played Everquest might find that amazing lol). Also, crafted gear, especially at low level isn't worth it, tho there is some decent stuff at 80+ (at last). The exception is a few weapons, esp as you are levelling and won't need them for long. You will not have enough quests to max out all your classes. you can, if you are careful, get to 87/70/50 on your 3 classes with what's available. Make sure you are doing your 10 daily quests each day and, at least while lvlin do them towards the end of your day so they are the highest level ones available to you. Save Coast of Opportunity/Xaviera for your 3rd class, but get the dailies at the end of Xaviera as soon as you can because those zones were added to lvl your 3rd class fast and so quests give four times the normal Exp. You won't find better dailies (that can easily be done or done 10 times in a day) till you reach the lvl 70+ zones.

Zelotes

Bard of the Boards

Thursday, November 13th 2014, 10:35pm

Welcome to the game :)

I find this homepage to give a nice overview of class combos, skills, play-styles etc.
It will take a bit of reading to find a style that suits you .. but just have your hubby do it :D

http://runesofmagic.gamepedia.com/Main_Page

Have fun

- Zelotes -